Institute of Air and Space Law at the McGill University
McGill University’s Institute of Air and Space Law (IASL) is the world’s premier academic setting for teaching and research in the dual disciplines of international air law and space law. Having celebrated its 65th year of continuous existence in 2016, the Institute is now on course to consolidate and enhance its record of achievement in the five years leading to its 70th anniversary in 2021, the same year that McGill University itself will turn 200.
Institute has to offer:
- A highly-accomplished international faculty that includes experienced academics, lawyers, diplomats, and industry professionals.
- A rich and expanding curriculum encompassing traditional air and space law subjects as well as cutting-edge innovations such as a new specialized course in aircraft finance law and a new complementary course in international trade law.
- A government-chartered Centre for Research in Air and Space Law (CRASL) that publishes the leading literature in both disciplines including the Annals of Air and Space Law (founded in 1976), treatises, monographs, and occasional papers.
- A busy programme of conferences and workshops in North America, Europe, the Middle East, and Asia covering key topics in airline liability and insurance law, air transport regulation and business, and space law.
- Partnerships with air and space law institutions and professionals including aviation’s own U.N. specialized agency, the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), as well as the International Air Transport Association (IATA), Airports Council International (ACI), and the Canadian Space Agency (CSA), all located – along with many others – in the world capital of the aviation and space sectors, the Institute’s home city of Montreal, Canada.
- Co-curricular activities that range from moot court competitions, externships, and social receptions to our newly-instituted discussion group, the Air and Space Law Colloquium, which offers our students the opportunity to meet and interact with prominent professionals involved in the aviation and space industries.
- A fiercely loyal network of over 1,000 graduates serving in high positions in the legal profession, in industry, and in academic and government institutions in over 120 countries, and who are connected through our alumni network, the IASL-Association, which now has a presence on five continents.
- A proud seven-decade history that has been recognized by ICAO’s Edward Warner Award, the greatest single honor the international aviation community can bestow.
If you aspire to be a specialist in air and space law, holding graduate credentials that will be recognised and respected throughout the world, please consider McGill and the IASL as the place to pursue your professional aspirations.
During the 37th Session of the Legal Committee, September 4-7, 2018 in Montreal, Canada, the Director of the Institute of Air and Space Law at the McGill University Prof. Brian F. Havel and the Director of the Institute of Air and Space Law AEROHELP Oleg Aksamentov discussed and duly agreed the Memorandum of Understanding to promote the mutual academic cooperation between the Institutes as partners in the field of joint symposiums, seminars, publications and exchange of data relating to Air and Space Law. The MOU was signed on November 15, 2018, during the IIASL Leiden University Air Law Workshop in Leiden, the Netherlands.